If finances are a concern for any of the required items below, then please contact Coach Culp. Do not allow money to be the obstacle for a fun, rewarding, and successful Cross Country season.
Running Shoes (Required Every Year – Price depends upon brand and style)
· Why do you need to buy running shoes?
o The most important piece of equipment for every athlete is running shoes. Even though they are fairly expensive, they are worth the money spent. They are much cheaper than doctor bills, which is likely what you’ll be paying for if you get inexpensive shoes. Shoes used for basketball, tennis, or aerobics are not good enough, because they do not have the proper cushioning and support.
· Which running shoes do you need to buy?
o Do not buy your running shoes based upon their appearance or what other people are wearing. Running shoes are very personal and what works great for one person might be very bad for someone else. The alignment in a person’s back and legs determines the shoe that they need to purchase. While at the store, you need to fully lace the shoes and go for a short run in order to make sure that they are comfortable.
· Where should you buy your running shoes?
o Running stores, such as South Sound Running (Tacoma: 759-4779 / Puyallup: 268-0016), are the best places to make your shoe purchases. They have a wider selection and salespeople more knowledgeable about running than athletic and department stores. They will also offer discounts to high school athletes, so be sure to ask a salesperson.
Running Watch (Required 1st Year Only – Price depends upon brand and style)
· A very important piece of equipment for every athlete is a running watch. It needs to have a stopwatch, so we can measure the time of our runs.
Warm Ups (Required 1st Year Only – $80)
· A very important piece of equipment for every athlete are warm ups. Even though they are fairly expensive, they are worth the money spent. They will be a part of your uniform for every year that you participate in Cross Country, and they provide warmth and waterproofing on cool and rainy weather days. They will be personalized with your name and team logos.
Racing Shoes (Not Required – Price depends upon brand and style)
· All varsity and potential varsity athletes need to seriously consider purchasing racing shoes. However, every athlete should buy them if at all possible, because they can take up to 30 seconds off a three mile race time. The best racing shoes are Cross Country spikes. These shoes are very versatile, because they can be worn with or without spikes. Some courses are primarily grass, in which case you would use spikes, while other courses have a large amount of asphalt, in which case you would not use spikes. The next best racing shoes are distance spikes made for Track. These shoes are less versatile, because they can’t be worn without spikes.
Team Shirts (Not Required – Prices Below)
· A great way to feel like a part of the team is to own a shirt that shows off your membership. It will be personalized with your name, a team logo, and a quote.
o Short Sleeve T-Shirt – $15
o Long Sleeve T-Shirt – $20
o Hooded Sweatshirt – $25